Friday, August 10, 2012

Double Chevron Tila Collar

Maybe I’m just procrastinating, but I’ve been still working on destashing seed beads, even though most of them are welcome to hang around for awhile (unlike some of the other beads in the pile). Last week, I decided it was time to make use of some of my leftover Tila beads.

Although I love the idea of Tilas, and I’m really pleased with how it worked out in chevron chain and right angle weave, I’m not all that crazy about these beads overall. I’ve seen so many projects and tutorials for them in the last year, and none of them really grabbed my attention. The projects look fantastic, but I’m not in a hurry to try any of them myself. I can’t explain it, but Tilas just don’t speak to me like some other beads do.

Tilas and Lime


Still, I’ve got some beige and white baggies in my shaped seed beads stash, and I thought it would be fun to experiment a little more with the chevron technique. I hoped that if it turned out, I’d have a new place for Tilas in my repertoire. I’ve already had success using double chevron chains for a collar, so I tried it out using Tila beads in the shared rows.

I don’t want to say the chevron chain is a finicky technique, but the truth is that when doing a curved chain, the slightest change in bead sizes or quantities can really effect the shape of the beadwork. I love how this collar turned out overall, but next time I’ll have to try reducing the inside row a bit. This is by far the widest collar I’ve made yet!

Sobek Collar


Copyright 2012 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook and Google+


4 comments:

  1. This is lovely! I just made a cuff using Tila beads for the first time! I'm not as proficient as you are, obviously!, but I enjoy playing with my beads and bead embroidery. I found the cuff pattern on Eva Maria Keiser Designs blog.
    Your work is wonderful and you share so much with us! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is gorgeous, too. Did it make you like Tila's any more? It's so pretty and such a clever use of those beads. WTG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of the Tila's, but they are so much more expensive than my seed beads, can't afford them right now. :o(

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com