Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Work in Progress: More Medallions

The new 15/o seed bead Egyptian medallion is finished! I’m not completely thrilled with how it turned out – the beadwork is fine, but the trim ended up looking a bit uneven. I pulled out some stitches and re-snipped the edges to even things out, but it didn’t quite work. I’m going to blame my scissors and just move on. I don’t yet have a motif ready for another graphic medallion, but I wanted to get started on a new one right away. I like to have a few pendants lined up before I get the cotton cord out for stringing. I tell myself that it’s to save time but it’s mostly a harmless way to procrastinate and get moving on new designs quicker.

Bead Embroidery Medallions in Progress


My mini bead helper is picking the colors for the new medallion. So far we’ve got transparent cherry and cobalt iris. Next up we’ve picked transparent emerald and opaque lemon. Should be fun! I would love to work in a row of black and white stripes with this palette, but I always make sure to give as little input as possible on these color choices. It’s really interesting what happens when we just roll with it.

What are you making right now?

Mortira

Subscribe * Facebook * Google+
Send your beading questions to InspirationalBeading@gmail.com
Support Inspirational Beading for bonus tutorials and more!

Copyright 2016 Inspirational Beading


2 comments:

  1. I started beading in earnest around the summer of 96. Everything I know I taught myself, by myself. I would find something I liked and go about reverse engineering it until I figured it out. I had no Internet then, no pc or laptop. I didn't know of any beading magazines. Seems primitive by today's standards.
    Then my husband died in 2001 and I spent the next 10+ years in some pretty dark space in my head. I grieved hard. Didn't come up for air for anything. I tried a few times to bring beads together, but they just didn't fit. I quit drawing, quit crocheting, quit every sort of creative juice that once flowed so freely.
    Slowy I am getting it back. Much more in the last 5 or so years than in the previous 10. I am coming back to life. And now that beading seems almost mainstream in comparison to where I left off, I find all these tutorials and such and I find it so cool to see that not only did I teach myself to do these things but I taught myself "correctly" lol....HOW SO?
    I want to thank you for your blog, you have been a HUGE part of my journey back into the light. I envy the time you can spend on this. Its not that i don't have the time, its that I am not as good at delegating my time in the best manner.
    Thanks again.
    Dian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many great beaders got their start by deconstructing beadwork. That's how David K. Chatt invented right angle weave!

      I'm so glad that you've found Inspirational Beading helpful. It's definitely my happy place, and I'm glad that I can share it. Thanks for being here with me!

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com